April Showers Bloom many reasons to celebrate in May. I don’t know about you, but with the frigid, frozen days of winter behind us (hopefully) it’s time to bask in days of sunshine and clear skies! Some of the recognition holidays in May are an entire month long, offering much opportunity to celebrate.
Two relationship-centered May holidays are Date Your Mate Month and National Recommitment Month. Marriage and dating relationships thrive when properly cared for and fostered. One of the best things we can do to nurture our love relationship is to play together. Here’s a great article about the importance of time spent dating your mate. And because these relationships are an important part of our well-being, it’s natural that our recommitment to our health and well-being include goals – as a couple but also as individuals. Check out this post for more on recommitment to your goals. Take time to figure out what you want as a couple and what you need as an individual.
Since the 80s, May has also been recognized as National Photography Month, so break out the camera – capture moments of play and document times spent focusing on recommitment to your goals. It’s often said that a picture is worth a thousand words. A national survey revealed that photography is one of our most powerful connections to our shared memories, emotions and self-expression. The findings reported that 83% of people use photos to connect with past memories. These visual memories are great reminders of those things that truly make our souls happy… the things that nourish our spirit, mind and body, and the people whose love and support encourage us to continue on and empower us to be all that we can be – to truly thrive in this life!
And May is just getting your warmed up with reasons to celebrate. Several foods are also honored in May. It’s National Barbecue Month, National Hamburger Month, National Salad Month, and National Candy Month. And these month long celebrations are only a start, there are many other days of celebration in May ranging from long recognized days of honor to more recent and light-hearted days of fun recognition. Mother’s Day, Derby Day, Cinco de Mayo, National Macaroon Day and Memorial Day to name a few. There’s a party excuse for most every day.
Need a little inspiration of ways to celebrate and what to photograph this month? Here’s a few to get you thinking:
- Enjoy a picnic in the park with your sweetheart
- Take a bike ride
- Plan a play date at home – put on your favorite album or playlist, open a bottle of wine, prepare a meal together – but before dessert, take a spin to “your song” in the living room.
- No special someone to speak of? Take a look in the mirror – see that special person staring back at you? Give them a little love and attention. Take a quiet walk or hike with your camera and/or journal. Spend time refocusing on what it is that you really want or need – then go for it!
- Look for special foodie events, festivals and capture a little food porn.
- Submit images for a photography exhibit
- Host a cooking contest or photography exhibition of your own
- Dust of your camera and take a photo a day for the entire month
Whatever you do, make time for play with your special love, and allow yourself to live fully in these moments (deadlines, work and home repairs will be there tomorrow)! What other ideas do you have for celebrating this this bloomingly beautiful spring month?
Wishing you an inspiring day and entire Month of May!