Breathe ah-sigh-EE of Relief posted in: Food and Beverage
So we’ve heard the saying, “Man cannot live by bread alone”, but could we by Acai?
Acai (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) is a super-fruit* from Brazil. In fact it may be one of the most nutritious fruits on the planet! It has been called “nature’s perfect fruit” and is regarded a superfood because you could get almost all your day’s nutritional needs from this one fruit! Not only that, but research has shown the fruit to have the most antioxidants of any fruit or vegetable. It contains Vitamins C, E, B1, B2, B3, potassium, calcium, phosphorus fatty acids Omega-9 and Omega-6, a high fiber content and proteins you need to keep your body going. This is one serious berry!
Because of it’s high levels of nutrient rich essentials, Acai is believed to improve one’s overall health and is credited with a whole host of health benefits including:
- Helping with cardiac functioning and blood circulation – which is said to be helpful for those suffering from any kind of inflammation or arthritis.
- fighting cancer
- Slowing the aging process – sign me up!
- (fatty acids also in the fruit are said to) Help with removal of cholesterol and aid the body in absorption of Vitamins A, C, E, and K (some of which are in the superfruit itself).
- Aiding digestion.
- (If you get hurt, the berry) Helping to reduce injuries and speeds up your recovery time.
- Aiding in stabilization of blood sugar levels – supporting weight loss and assisting in maintaining a healthy appetite
- Managing diabetes
OK, at this point my brain couldn’t absorb any more information (but perhaps if I get serious about Acai, it will help me take in and retain more info too) Well, I don’t know, but here’s to hoping….
Already a fan or interested in making this King Kratos of the food world part of your diet? Try these tasty – got to be healthy, fast and easy recipes….
- 14 ounces Acai juice, thawed
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 10 medium strawberries, sliced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup agave syrup (or to taste)
Preparation: Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Add more agave or lime juice to taste (if desired).
Variants: Add ½ cup yogurt or ½ cup ice. Also, frozen acai pulp or puree may be used in place of the juice.
To make a nice sorbet, pour the puree fruit into a baking pan and place in the freezer. Stir every 20 minutes until set. Serve.
Acai of Relief
3 oz cachaca* or rum
3 oz acai juice (As pure as possible)
2 oz orange juice
2 oz lime juice
2 oz club soda
2 T agave nectar
Mint sprig for garnish (optional)
Preparation: Combine first six ingredients. Mottle chopped mint with this mixture to release its flavor. Strain and pour mixture over ice. Garnish with mint sprig.