It’s that time of the year again, time to clean out your closet, and get organized. Does the very sound of this task overwhelm you? No fret. I’m here to share some tips, tricks and a cool new find that will whip your closet into shape, and leave you feeling fabulous, dressed your best, and in control of your life (seriously, I’m so not kidding about just how much this can empower you) in no time!
A closet filled with blouses and dresses that make you look frumpy and pants that are two sizes too big or too small is to say the least discouraging and can make it difficult to find the great stuff you should be wearing to show off your best assets. If your closet is full of these items and things you never wear, you won’t really know what you have or what you need. And I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to feel like I’m wrestling an alligator just to free an article of clothing from an overcrowded rack or going on a scavenger hunt for a pair of matching shoes at the start of every day. Getting dressed should be an enjoyable experience, and for this to be the case you need to be able to see what you have, and consider all options. So, let’s get to it!
First, purge. For this task, you must be honest and objective with yourself, ruthless even with your decisions. Chances are you won’t even miss the items once they’re gone. And keep in mind, the best dressed are not necessarily those with the most clothes, but those who have the best edited collection of flattering pieces.
Follow this guide to help you say goodbye to old garments:
*Have I worn this in the last 6 months?
*Does this make me feel beautiful and fabulous? Today, right now? Not when I lose 5 pounds or have arms like Madonna’s (if not, it’s out….and must leave the runway)
*Accentuate the positive, does this piece show off my best features?
* Is this piece a timeless classic?
*Has the piece seen its better days? Remember, be honest. If the item is faded and threadbare, retire it!
*Don’t allow yourself to hold on to something simply because it was so expensive when you bought it, or you just know you’ll fit into a size 2 again…some day.
Next, categorize. Find a system that works for you. For me, everything in my closet is organized by category and then subcategorized by style and color (YES, I AM a touch OCD for those of you who may be wondering) …so, I arrange dresses with dresses, pants with pants, and within that are subcategories: silk long- sleeve blouses, silk short-sleeve blouses, etc. I also take it a step further to arrange my wardrobe somewhat by color: lights to darks, solids to prints. The same goes for shoes, heels with heels, flats with flats, all organized by style and color, but the important thing is to find a system that works for you, then get it together and keep it together.
OK, now let’s talk for a moment about hangers. Those of you who know me intimately know that just like Mommy Dearest I am a NO WIRE HANGERS advocate!! Seriously, I’m convinced these things are of the devil. Target or Wal-Mart can hook you up with nice plastic ones for pocket change. However, I am totally sold by my newest find. Society, I give you “Ultra Slim Hangers! They’re like slim-fast for your closet….only they really work. This little indulgence is a totally guilt-free secret to adding space to your wardrobe. I swear by simply exchanging hangers, I gained 25% of my closet space back…WITHOUT purging a single stitch of clothing! A-MAZING! And what’s more, these sleek hangers feature indents for straps and are finished in a soft velvety covering so even the slightest and silkiest of clothing won’t slip off and end up a wrinkled mess at the bottom of your closet. You can snag some of these little miracle workers from Bed Bath & BEYOND, your local TJ Maxx, or better yet, register for our Chic Giveaway!
Society, we’re giving away a set of Ultra Slim hangers this week to one lucky member of The Society/The Wedding Company fan base! Stay tuned tomorrow for our Chic giveaway on facebook.
Cinco de Mayo- Five Fun Facts and Two Great Recipes posted in: Uncategorized
Cinco de Mayo is just about here! But before you don your sombrero and head out to listen to your favorite mariachi band, here are five fun facts and two great recipes to better acquaint you with the holiday.
About Cinco de Mayo:
1. Cinco de Mayo is the anniversary of the1862 Battle of Puebla between an under-armed, under-manned Mexican army against a well-armed French Army led by Napoleon III. Obviously, it didn’t work out for the French as we celebrate Cinco de Mayo and not Cinq mai.
Another noteworthy element of Cinco de Mayo is that it represents the last time a foreign army waged aggression in North America. Oh and by the way, the battle featured about 12,000 soldiers combined (8,000 French and 4,000 Mexican), and lasted only about two hours!
2. The world’s largest Cinco de Mayo celebration is actually the Festival de Fiesta Broadway held here in the U.S. In Los Angeles, California to be exact. It draws about 600,000 people annually.
3. Cinco de Mayo, as we know it today in America, didn’t begin until 1967. It all began with a group of students from California State University. They took notice that there weren’t any Mexican holidays celebrated in America like there were for citizens of other descent, like St. Patrick’s Day, Oktoberfest, or Chinese New Year. Cheers! to these students!!
4. While Tequila holds a long and storied place in Mexican and Mexican-American celebratory traditions, the margarita didn’t even exist in 1862! While tequila, ice, lime, and sugar all existed in 1862, they weren’t brought together in the form of a margarita until about 1930.
5. Are there any traditional Cinco de Mayo songs? While there are no songs specifically for Cinco de Mayo, there are plenty of songs with Cinco de Mayo in the lyrics, including “Isis” by Bob Dylan and “Mexico” by Cake. In fact, the following bands/artists all have songs titled “Cinco de Mayo”: War, Liz Phair, Senses Fail, and Herb Alpert.
To get your party started, enjoy one or both of these tasty drinks!
Rompope (Mexican Eggnog)
You might be used to eggnog only being enjoyed at Christmas, but Rompope is an indulgent treat that you can whip up anytime. This is not your usual eggnog, and is a drink intended to be sipped. Truly traditional Rompope would be heavily loaded with rum as well.
• 1 quart milk
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 tsp vanilla
• 1 cinnamon stick (3-inch), broken
• 1/4 cup ground almonds
• 12 egg yolks
Mix milk, sugar, vanilla, almonds and cinnamon in a large pan, and heat to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-yellow. Remove the pieces of cinnamon stick from the milk, and slowly whisk in the yolks. Return your pan back to the burner on low heat, and keep stirring. When the mixture thickly coats a spoon, take it off the heat again and let to cool. Refrigerate before serving. To note the flavor really come to live afer being regfigerated for a day or two.
For a twist on the tradish, enjoy a Pineapple-Orange Margarita
Drink Recipe Ingredients:
•1.5 oz. Cuervo Especial Gold (25 oz. per bottle)
•2 oz. Jose Cuervo Lime Margarita Mix
•1 oz. pineapple juice
•1 oz. orange juice
•1 tablespoon(s) sugar (I prefer to substitute agave nectar for the sugar)
•1 orange wedge
So go on Society, shake it up!